This morning, I find myself with a small corral of naked Yaks. I’m guessing most people know about Yak Shaving Here’s how it went this morning.
Actually, it started yesterday. I wanted to change the thermostat setting at the Cabin so it’d be nice and toasty when we got there. Can’t for some reason. Dig into the HomeAssistant console and discover the reason is that the component for my Venstar ColorTouch thermostat isn’t disabling the schedule so changing the temperature fails and generates an error from the thermostat. I should fix it.
I figure out how to fix the bug but in order to submit a patch, I need to upgrade my HomeAssistant installation.
So do all the requisite ‘git fetch; git merge upstream/….’ stuff, and then upgrade everything in the virtual environment.
Unfortunately, I can’t upgrade the virtual environment because my Python is too old.
Can’t ‘apt install’ a new Python because I’m on an old Ubuntu 16.04. Don’t want to go down that path right now.
Download a new Python, build, install.
Create a new virtual environment and reinstall all of the packages.
Installing packages fails (Twisted) because libbz2-dev wasn’t installed.
Rebuild Python and reinstall.
Create a new virtual environment with the new python and reinstall all of the packages.
Installing packages fails due to a build problem with libopenzwave.
Looks like I need to upgrade my toolchain (g++ specifically).
I don’t like the look of that particular Yak. Lets try upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.
My current version of ProxMox doesn’t support Ubuntu 18.04.
I need to upgrade ProxMox first. Oh, that’s the greasiest Yak yet. It’s a major version upgrade.
I should really just build a new ProxMox from scratch, while running the old one.
I don’t have enough hardware to build a new ProxMox server, even temporarily.
I think I’m on the last Yak. So in order to submit a patch against HomeAssistant, I need to go to the Hardware Store.