The thermostat arrived and I was excited. I plugged it in on my bench at home and the first thing I found was the temperature sensor was off by about 5F. I knew I could set the calibration in the menus but wasn’t sure if the amount it was off was linear or not. I contacted tech support and received a response back almost right away. After a couple of back/forths with tech support, they offered to send me a wired temperature sensor to try instead. That was on November 12th. Since then, I’ve updated the firmware on the thermostat and now it has, twice, locked up completely. I have to cycle the power on it to get it to come back. I fired off another question to tech support and received no response.
It is now December 11th and I’ve not heard anything from tech support since the first instance on November 12th.
In the meantime, I’ve mounted the thermostat on the wall and hooked it up to my furnace and it seems to work fine enough. I’ve also modified a few scripts so I can continue to monitor it remotely. I’ve even written a bit of an API for it in Python.
It hasn’t hung on me since I mounted it to the wall so I’ll continue to keep an eye on that.
It’s still a great thermostat as long as you don’t want tech support.
Edit: Tech support is actually responsive. The problem is that my emails don’t reach them. They claim to have never received any emails from me even though I’ve confirmed in my mail logs that their MX has accepted my message. If I communicate with them via their web-form then tech-support is very responsive. Clearly they have some aggressive anti-spam filters on their email that are generating false-positives.